Gov. Reynolds signs new proclamation State Public Health Emergency Declaration
Below is how the new proclamation will affect Athletics
All promoters will need to agree to take the necessary precautions and recommended guidelines from the Iowa Department of Public Health for public safety. We are requiring promoters to submit a written plan of action outlining how they will be keeping those in attendance including spectators, staff, fighters, officials and the IAC at the event safe, with the social distancing order. The current proclamation requiring social distancing will remain in place through the remainder of the calendar year. See “Mass Gatherings” and look to future proclamations for guidance.
The Iowa Athletic Commission (IAC) ensures the licensing, tax, and registration requirements are met for professional and amateur athletic events held in Iowa. More information can be found by reviewing the Administrative Rules and Iowa Codes.
MMA, Boxing and Kickboxing Promoter Event Licensing
All requests for proposed event dates must be submitted to the IAC as far in advance as possible but no later than 60 days prior to the proposed event date.
The IAC will approve one event per weekend, based on when the event is requested. After a request has been submitted, a HOLD will be placed on the Athletic calendar of events. Events will be approved after the IAC has received half of the $450.00 non-refundable application fee and have secured appropriate staff, the HOLD will be removed from the calendar of events. If an event is denied, you will receive an email with an explanation.
Events can be found on the Athletic calendar.
At least 7 days prior to the event the following must be received in the IAC office:
- Completed Promoter Event Application
- Copy Fighter Contract with each contestant
- $225.00 - One half of application fee
- $5,000.00 bond payable to the State of Iowa on the Athletic Bond Form
- Certificate of Insurance
- Copy of contract with the security firm
- Copy of medical license of the ringside physician
- Copy of contract with emergency medical service including name of EMT
Wrestling Event Licensing
At least 7 days prior to the event the IAC must receive the following:
- Wrestling Event License Application
- $100.00 non-refundable license fee
- $5,000.00 bond payable to the State of Iowa of the Athletic Bond Form
Once the IAC has received the $100.00 non-refundable application fee, you will receive an email denying or approving the requested event date. Approved events can be found on the Athletic calendar of events.
A promoter must complete and file with the Iowa Athletic Commissioner an Event Receipt Report Form and pay all applicable taxes within 20 days after the date of the event.
If you have outstanding debt with the IAC or the Iowa Department of Revenue, any requested event will be denied until that debt is fulfilled.
Iowa professional boxer's must be registered in Iowa. The Iowa Athletic Commission belongs to the Association of Boxing Commissioner’s (ABC) national boxer registration system.
The following must be received by the Iowa Athletic Commission 15 days prior to a boxing match that the boxer will be participating in to obtain a boxing license:
- Completed legible application
- Copy of official government issued photo ID containing the boxer’s photograph or similar foreign ID number
- Current clear facial picture
- Check or money order for $25.00 payable to Division of Labor – Athletics
View a list of ABC's current registered boxers.
Replacement Boxing License
- Complete a new application - identify as replacement card
- Send a $10.00 check or money order payable to the IAC for the replacement ID fee
Request to Approve Athletic Event
Calendar of Events
Promoter Responsibilities Manual
Application for an Iowa Wrestling Event License
MMA, Boxing or Kickboxing Promoter Event Form
Athletic Bond Form
Boxers' Federal Identification Card Application
Fighter Physical Form
Final Fight Card and Official Weigh-In Form
Event Receipt Report Form
Fighter Rules Sheet
Open Records Requests