ELEVATOR SAFETY BOARD
June 26, 2019
I. Call to order
Chairperson Kris Kesterson called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the conference room at 150 Des Moines Street, Des Moines, Iowa.
II. Roll call
Members present: Kris Kesterson, Wayne Sims, Kerry Dixon, Kathleen Uehling, Marvin Schumacher, Justin Carleton and Peggy VandenBerg (via phone)
Members absent: Amy Infelt and Craig Clabaugh
Ms. Caroline Barrett, Assistant Attorney General, also attended.
III. Approval of agenda
Mr. Carleton moved to approve the agenda and Mr. Sims seconded the motion. The Board approved it unanimously.
IV. Approval of minutes from May 30, 2019
Ms. Dixon moved to approve the May 30, 2019, minutes. Mr. Schumacher seconded the motion and the board approved it unanimously.
V. Item for Action
Variance request from Matt Davis, Project Manager from Neumann Brothers, Inc., regarding elevator renovations at Ruan Center (E2019-012)
Mr. Davis spoke on behalf of Neumann Brothers, Inc. and discussed the project and four variances requested.
- Structural Design – Variance request concerning beveled edges where creating beveled edges would damage the fire barrier.
- Machine Room – Variance request regarding relocating all electrical and HVAC from the machine room.
- Hoistway Lighting – Variance request pertaining to the newly adopted hoistway lighting rule.
- Fire Command Room – Variance request pertaining to fire command room.
This variance is for 6 elevators, Permit IDs 402-407. It was decided removing the fireproofing to bevel the edges would not be practicable, although some edges that are not fireproofed may still need to be beveled. Moving the HVAC and electrical systems from the machine room would not be practical. The machine room lighting variance request is moot because the new rule doesn’t apply based on the contract date. Mr. Davis withdrew the fourth variance request after discussion.
Ms. Dixon moved to grant a permanent variance to the Ruan Center for beveled edges on permanent structural steel with fireproofing and for removal of all non-elevator equipment from the machine room. The following conditions shall apply:
Install signage on car top rail stating “Don’t place anything on ledges.”
Increase lighting on car top to 19 foot candles minimum lumens.
Remove unused equipment from the elevator machine room.
Cap conduit in machine room.
Label all existing equipment in elevator machine room.
Upgrade lighting to 19 foot candles minimum lumens.
Mr. Schumacher seconded the motion. The rest of the board unanimously agreed.
VI. Division of Labor Report
Labor Commissioner, Rod Roberts, updated personnel changes for the division:
- OSHA Administrator position filled by Russ Perry
- Public Service Manager 2 position filled by Gary Beer
- Executive Officer 2 position was filled by Mary Montgomery
The Commissioner relayed these individuals will be starting in their new positions on Friday, June 28, 2019. There are ongoing renovations to the workspaces to accommodate these staff changes and for other pertinent staff members.
Mr. Borwey introduced the new elevator inspector, Stan Neimeier. Mr. Borwey has a list for another position open for the eastern side of the state.
E2019-011 from Wells Enterprises Inc. was withdrawn.
VIII. Next meeting dates
- Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. 150 Des Moines Street
- Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. 150 Des Moines Street
IX. Next meeting agenda
- Election of board officers
- Petition for Declaratory Order from Marc and Angie Wallace (E2019-013)
- Variance petition for Low Rent Housing Agency Winterset (E2019-014)
X. Public comments
Mr. Sims moved to adjourn the meeting. Mr. Carleton seconded. The board approved. The meeting adjourned at 9:51 a.m.
Ms. Kerry Dixon, Secretary