ELEVATOR SAFETY BOARD
April 24, 2018
I. Call to order
Chairperson Kris Kesterson called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. in the conference room at 150 Des Moines Street, Des Moines, Iowa.
II. Roll call
Members present: Kris Kesterson, Amy Infelt (via phone), Wayne Sims, Justin Carleton , Kerry Dixon, Kathleen Uehling, Todd Christensen, Marvin Schumacher
Member absent: Peggy VandenBerg
Ms. Emily Willits, Director, Licensing & Administrative Law Division, also attended.
III. Approval of agenda
Ms. Dixon moved to approve the agenda and Ms. Uehling seconded the motion. The Board approved it unanimously.
IV. Approval of minutes from March 20, 2018
Mr. Carleton moved to approve the March 20, 2018 minutes. Mr. Schumacher seconded the motion and the board approved it unanimously.
V. Items for Action
Variance petition from Simpson College concerning a hoistway opening that provides the only inside access to the College Hall bell tower (E2018-187)
Mr. Gary Dooley, Interim Director of Campus Services, Simpson College, presented the variance request information to the board.
Mr. Dooley stated that College Hall is the oldest building on the Simpson College campus. The elevator was installed in the bell tower during a 1985 renovation. The bell tower has a dry sprinkler head and the original bell. Occasionally the maintenance staff requires access to the bell tower. The only methods to access the bell tower are by hiring a crane or climbing a ladder in the elevator hoistway.
Ms. Amy Infelt joined the meeting at 9:10 a.m.
Ms. Dixon moved to approve the variance with the following conditions:
- A stop switch shall be installed near the bottom of the ladder that accesses the belfry.
- A method shall be devised to comply with the OSHA standards governing walking/working surfaces (29 CFR 1910.21-1910.30) while people are in the belfry.
- A maintenance control plan shall be available in the machine room and at a minimum it shall include procedures for the following:
- Locking the top hatch using Group 1 security when no one is in the belfry.
- Limiting belfry access to authorized persons.
- Securing the elevator at the top floor before accessing the belfry.
- Barricading the third floor landing when accessing the belfry.
- Utilizing the stop switch at the bottom of the ladder.
- Utilizing fall protection consistent with 29 CFR 1910.21-1910.30.
Mr. Christensen seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
- Variance petition from Troy Tilleraas, Schumacher Elevator Company, regarding headroom for installation of a new elevator in an existing space at Buena Vista Regional Medical Center (E2018-188)
Mr. Troy Tilleraas, Manager at Schumacher Elevator Company, presented the variance request to the board. A geared overhead traction elevator is being replaced by a hydraulic elevator.
Due to the hardship associated with changing the ceiling height, Ms. Dixon moved to approve the variance with the following conditions: 1) “Caution Low Overhead” must be posted on the door in minimum 1” lettering of contrasting color on the machine room door. 2) Lights in the machine room will be mounted on the side walls.
Mr. Christensen seconded the motion. Except for Mr. Schumacher who abstained, the
board unanimously approved the motion.
- Variance petition from Jim Pokorney, Otis Elevator, regarding headroom for the modernization of 3 elevators at St. Luke’s Medical Center in Sioux City (E2018-189)
Mr. Jim Pokorney, Territory Manager, Otis Elevator, presented information regarding the variance request to the board on behalf of St. Luke’s Medical Center Sioux City.
Due to the hardship associated with changing the ceiling height, Mr. Schumacher moved to approve the variance with the following conditions: 1) “Caution Low Overhead” must be posted on the door in minimum 1” lettering of contrasting color on the machine room door. 2) Lights in the machine room will be mounted on the side walls.
Ms. Dixon seconded the motion and the board approved unanimously except for Mr. Christensen who abstained.
VI. Presentation by Kevin Brinkman, NEII, concerning the Notice of Intended Action published as ARC 3727C on April 11, 2018
Mr. Kevin Brinkman, Vice-President, Code and Safety, National Elevator Industry Inc., commented on the rule changes proposed in Notice of Intended Action ARC 3727C.
Prior to the meeting Mr. Brinkman distributed a letter that specifically mentioned the issues of hoistway lighting and flexible cords and cables. He said ASME is looking at new standards on hoistway lighting and he encouraged the board to wait for ASME to complete its process.
Ms. Dixon stated that Iowa State University has required hoistway lighting for some time and she has data on the cost of hoistway lighting that she can share. Mr. Steve Simpson, International Union of Electrical Constructors, spoke in favor of the Notice of Intended Action because it could take years before ASME finalizes standard improvements. Mr. Schumacher suggested that the board should wait for ASME standards.
Ms. Uehling stated that Mr. Brinkman’s letter will be part of the official rulemaking record.
VII. Division of Labor Report
There are currently three inspector positions that are open. Mr. Borwey stated he is negotiating with a candidate for one of the positions.
VIII. Discussion of process when a conveyance doesn't pass a safety test
This discussion was to address the expectations of the elevator company in regards to the paperwork for safety tests.
The board and the Division of Labor agreed that a copy of the safety test should be left in the machine room. Mr. Borwey also stated that the elevator company should contact our office immediately if they have a safety item that is considered to be an imminent danger.
Emails dated February 13 and April 9, 2018 from Kevin O’Shea regarding transport platforms.
Copies of the emails were provided to the board members. Ms. Kesterson stated she responded to Mr. O’Shea’s emails by saying that he was welcome to present any new information to the board. There has been no response from Mr. O’Shea.
X. Next meeting dates
- Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 9:00 a.m., 150 Des Moines Street
- Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 9:00 a.m., 150 Des Moines Street
XI. Next meeting agenda
- Tabled variance from Ed Allen and Lexington Apartments (E2017-182)
- Variance application from Central Presbyterian Church (E2018-190)
- Variance application from Joseph Jewelers (E2018-191)
XII. Public comments
Ms. Dixon thanked Mr. Christensen for his service to the board. Mr. Craig Clabaugh has been appointed as our new member and he will be at the next meeting.
Mr. Gary Briggs noted that minutes of previous meetings are not available on the website. The Labor Commissioner stated he will check into the missing minutes. Ms. Willits also noted that minutes are provided upon request.
Mr. Schumacher moved to adjourn the meeting. The board approved. The meeting adjourned at 10:10 a.m.
Ms. Kathleen Uehling, Secretary