Boiler and Pressure Vessel Frequently Asked Questions

How do I schedule an inspection?

The inspector must have the proper credentials and be employed by the Iowa Division of Labor or by your insurance company. If you don't know who did your last inspection, or to request an inspection by the Iowa Division of Labor, call 515-725-5609 or 515-725-5610.

How often are inspections required?

All covered equipment must be inspected at least once a year. Some of the inspections, called internal inspections, require that the equipment be shut off and drained, while other inspections, called external inspections, happen while the equipment is running. View the inspection schedule or instructions on how to prepare for an internal inspection.

What should I do if I'm getting a new boiler or pressure vessel?

Be sure the equipment and installation comply with the codes. Notify the Iowa Division of Labor at least 10 days in advance of installation. Do not use the equipment until it has passed inspection. An initial internal inspection will not be required for objects built to the ASME standards if a hydrostatic pressure test has been performed and the necessary information is provided to the Iowa Division of Labor.

What is my expiration date?

The expiration date is the last day of the month in the year appearing on the upper right corner of the annual inspection certificate.

How do I get a duplicate of my annual inspection certificate?

Call 515-725-5609 or 515-725-5610.

What should I do if there is incorrect information on my annual inspection certificate?

Call 515-725-5609 or 515-725-5610.

Who is qualified to work on boilers in Iowa?

The Iowa Division of Labor does not issue boiler operator licenses. Most contractors who install or repair boilers and pressure vessels in Iowa must register with the Iowa Division of Labor as construction contractors. The Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board licenses contractors and individuals that work in the plumbing and HVAC trades.

How can I become a special commissioned inspector?

Review the rules. Fill out a special Commission Inspector Application and submit it to the Iowa Division of Labor.

What if my boiler contains glycol?

Boilers containing glycol are covered by the same regulations and inspection requirements as other boilers.  The Iowa Division of Labor recommends keeping the glycol containers to store the glycol during internal inspections.  Glycol should be analyzed every 12 months or according to the manufacturer's recommendations, and should be replaced as needed.  Records of the analysis should be maintained.

How do I get more information?

View the Iowa Code and Administrative Rules or Contact the Boiler Staff.