Preparing Minor for Employment
A minor is generally considered to be the ages of 14 or 15 years old and can positively contribute to the workforce. In order to ensure a minor is properly set up for work, the steps below need to be fulfilled before he or she begins employment:
- Work is available and a job is offered by the employer.
- Print the Iowa Child Labor Permit.
- Minor and parent complete the required sections of the work permit.
- Minor takes work permit and proof of age to the employer.
Approved proof of age options include:
- driver's instruction permit
- certified birth certificate
- certified baptismal record showing date and place of birth and place of minor's baptism
- federal identification such as a passport, visa or "green card"
- physician's certification of minor’s age sample available on the Division of Labor website
The following are not approved proof of age options:
- social security card
- parent statement
- I-9 form
Employers Requirements and Responsibilities when Hiring a Minor
An employer who has selected to hire a minor for employment is responsible for performing and complying with the following requirements:
- complete the employer's information and employer representative's information sections of the work permit form
- retain the original permit with copy of the proof of age (indicate on the form which proof of age the employer examined)
- review the Iowa Child Labor Law sheet (which is provided on page 3 of the work permit form) and comply with all the duties and hours requirements
- review the Iowa Child Labor Permit to ensure all information has been completed and the minor and parent have signed the permit
- indicate which proof of minor's age has been given and make a copy for your records - do not send a copy of proof of age with the completed permit
- within 3 days of minor starting work, the employer must submit a copy of the Iowa Child Labor Permit form to the Iowa Division of Labor – Child Labor
Submitting the Application for Work Permit form
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (an auto reply will be received by sender as acknowledgment)
- Fax: 515-725-7957 (retain the transmittal receipt as proof of submission)
- Mail: Iowa Division of Labor - Child Labor, 1000 East Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50319-0209 (an email will be sent confirming receipt)
Any form submitted incomplete, inaccurate or illegible will be deemed invalid.