Owners of existing elevators, escalators, dumbwaiters and other equipment covered by Iowa Code Chapter 89A have many responsibilities. All covered equipment must be registered with the Iowa Division of Labor. A current operating permit must be posted at all times. The owner must hire a qualified elevator maintenance company to perform regular safety tests. Owners of older elevators may have to upgrade their equipment by May 1, 2020, to enhance safety. More information can be found by reviewing the Iowa code and administrative rules.
In addition the equipment must be inspected on a regular schedule. The owner may hire a qualified, private inspector. Otherwise, an inspector employed by the State of Iowa will inspect. If the equipment does not meet code, corrections will be required. For current permit status, check the elevator public portal.
Elevator Installation Companies
Compliance with the following is required for elevator installation companies:
- At least 8 weeks before an alteration or installation is scheduled to begin, submit an installation or alteration permit application to Iowa Division of Labor, Elevator Safety, 1000 East Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50319-0209. Failure to obtain a permit may result in significant extra costs and delays in the project.
- Work cannot begin on an installation or alteration until a permit for the work has been issued by the Labor Commissioner.
- Once the permit has been issued and received it is to be posted on the jobsite.
- Equipment should not be put into use until it passes inspection by a state inspector.
- Most businesses in the elevator industry must have a current contractor registration number issued by the Division of Labor.
Immediately notify the Labor Commissioner of an accident involving an elevator, escalator or related equipment. Follow the accident notification requirements and submit a conveyance accident report form to the Iowa Division of Labor.
The Iowa Department of Public Safety, cities, and counties are responsible for accessibility requirements. For more information on accessibility requirements, call 515-725-6154 or visit Iowa Department of Public Safety.
Elevator Safety Board
The Elevator Safety Board has authority to write rules, review inspection reports, grant waivers from rules, and more.
Iowa Code and Administrative Rules
Construction Hoist Test and Inspection Report
Conveyance Accident Report
Construction Personnel Hoist Application Form
Escalator Test and Inspection Report
Periodic Hydraulic Test
Periodic Traction Test
Temporary Construction Permit
Hazard Correction Extension Request
Installation or Alteration Permit Application
Platform Lift Test and Inspection Report
Safety Complaint Form
Special Elevator Inspector Commission Application
Wind Tower Lift Test and Inspection Report
Wind Tower Lift Permit Application
PDF and Webpage Issues
Contact Elevator Staff
Report an Issue with this Webpage